Friday 4 July 2008

More Agility Training

Well, back at agility training last night after 3 weeks off and Fi did some nice little bits, we did quite a few jumping exercises with the jumps at varying heights to start getting her used to thinking about what height she's jumping with the aim of getting her up to full height, we are getting there. All this stop/start in her training isn't helping, she really needs to be doing something 2 or 3 times a week. She was working nicely but I have to be careful I don't push her too hard on new things or she just starts to switch off and goes off sniffing the grass (mmm...tasty rabbit droppings) which I find really frustrating. She also did the wall for the first time, no problems there.

Bailey chewed through another one of my leads!! He only does this at agility but it's really annoying!! I had deliberatley taken a coil tether so he couldn't chew through it when he was tied up but he chewwed through his lead while I was stood holding him!! Only took him a few seconds...little swine!!! Fortunately he redeemed himself and worked well. Training with Bai is more about training me than him (since he pretty much knows what to do), where I need to be and my timing etc, he's so quick and responsive (i.e. manic!) it can all go horribly wrong if I don't get those little things right but we did some nice bits so hopefully we'll get it together ready to compete soon. Gemma is going to compete with him again when she gets chance but when I'm going to shows and she's working I'll take him along for the ride and we'll have a few runs together. The one thing we REALLY struggled with was a tunnel curved round underneath the up-plank of the dog walk, we had to do jump - tunnel - jump - dogwalk in a sort of circular movement but could I get him to go up that dogwalk??? Aargh!! Bailey had total 'tunnel vision' lol and couldn't see anything but that lovely tunnel, in the end I had to get him to come through and 'WAIT' to make him stop and convince him that the dog walk was the next obstacle!! All in all it was a good session although we did get rather wet when the heavens opened for a short sharp downpour and got a bit chilled driving home. I have Bailey all weekend so hopefully I'll get time to do a bit of jump and weave training at home with them both. We'll see!

No comments: