Monday 29 June 2009

Birthday Treat?

We had two birthdays over this weekend, my gorgeous Sparky-Boo was 2 on Saturday and DotDot was 4 yesterday and as a special treat on their birthdays they both got a bath and blow dry. Ok, so this wasn’t really a treat, in fact more like torture in Dottie’s case as she HATES the blowdryer but as it happened I had entered them both at Blackpool Champ show so it was a necessity.

I had actually decided not to take Dottie as she’s in the middle of a big ‘pre-season’ moult at the moment and as such looks rather scruffy. I should have known by the fact she looked fabulous when the entries closed that this would happen! So Spark got his bath and blow on Saturday evening and I didn’t bother with Dottie. On Sunday morning I let everyone out and Heather said she thought Dottie looked ok so I decided to bath her and take her after all (the beauty of living just 15 mins from the venue). So poor Dottie started out her birthday with a bath and blow dry too…not her idea of fun!

We arrived at the show shortly after judging had started and I got Spark up on the table to get him all trimmed and ‘beautified’ but I couldn’t find my treat bag anywhere and I didn’t have any pockets so once he was done I had to set off round the stalls to find one and I nearly missed my class!! The judge was rattling through them so quickly! Spark went well but only placed 4th in Mid Limit which was a little disappointing. Dottie was presented beautifully (if I do say so myself… I was trying out some new shampoo/grooming products and was actually rather pleased with the outcome) and also went really really well but did not get placed in Limit bitch.

Now, I’m not in the habit of publicly questioning the judge but just have to comment on yesterdays’. The judging was rather ‘interesting’ to say the least with the dogs barely being gone over and two dogs asked to leave the ring because of ‘alleged’ incorrect bites! (one a champion and one a JW winner with a RCC!). Regardless…as far as I’m aware, a level bite is a fault just the same as any other and should be assessed in the same way…I didn’t see any dogs being asked to leave the ring because they had an upright shoulder or long hocks! Then the shortlisting process was also rather bizarre and some dogs were moved round and round in the generous sized ring in the blazing heat with handlers criticized when they couldn’t keep up with the pace. He moaned about changing of handlers (one to present and another to run the dog), something which is commonplace and even told one exhibitor that she had a nice puppy but it was a waste of time her showing it…how rude?! That said, in complete contrast he did wait for me with Spark which a lot of judges wouldn’t have done. It was a shame because it was a beautiful day and a well organized show but there was a real air of bad feeling around the ring all day.

Anyway…we had a nice day out catching up with everyone. This was actually the first breed show we’ve been to since Crufts! Here’s a few snaps…

Spark, standing with my mum and waiting for me to come back (bless him)

Smiling for the camera

Relaxing ringside with his head in Rachels’ lap

Dottie in the ring…


Some of the rellies…

Cruise – Sh CH Pikkupaimenen Great Pretender at Locheil

Jackie Lavington with Drift – Locheil Stand and Deliver at Sandmont


Erin – Locheil She’s Delightful (one of Sparks’ daughters)


Lexi – (Locheil Truly Madly Deeply)

No comments: