Monday 20 October 2008

Another breed show marathon...

God, what an exhausting weekend and we didn't even go anywhere! It was North West Border Collie Club Championship show on Sunday which is held just 20 mins from my house, we had 4 people staying over Saturday night and I spent the entire day on Saturday bathing, drying, brushing and trimming dogs (10 of them in total!) and don't my hamstrings know about it, they're killing me today! I did the 8 I had entered and Eabha and Squirrel too (just because they needed a bath!), thank god for Gemma and Alison on Sunday who were so helpful getting dogs out and ready while I ran back and forth between the two rings. We had one of those 'so nearly' days with both Orlaith and Viggo making their showring debuts and both coming 4th in their minor puppy classes. I was pleased with them both though; both the minor puppy classes were big quality classes and they both behaved themselves and went well. The minor puppy bitch class particularly finished with a really stunning line up taking the cards.

Spark didn't get placed in Junior dog and only got a 5th in the colour class despite going really well. I wasn't best pleased but that's just the way it goes sometimes, this allrounder judge just really didn't like him but he continues to receive lots of nice comments from fellow competitiors around the ring which is nice. He's a lovely dog to handle, he's just very easy going and happy to do whatever you ask of him (bless). Dylan and Faith were a total pair of 'giddy kippers' and behaved appallingly lol She came 5th (VHC) in her novice class while Dylan came 4th in his and 5th in graduate...what a naughty pair!! Good job they're both so good at other things or they'd be in big trouble! *vbg*

Dottie went really well in Post grad bitch but didn't get placed. I love moving this dog she just always stays with you and never breaks her gait she can just keep extending and driving on, she really suits my long legs! I do however appreciate that she is not everyone's 'cup of tea', she has quite a strong muzzle and is not the ultra feminine type that most like but I love her just the way she is. Dazzle also went beauitifully in Limit bitch which was a very strong class, again she wasn't placed but I was very pleased with her. Gemma handled her in the colour class in which she came 4th behind a champion, a ticket winner and her half sister Inca (Locheil Miss Independant at Ruffs) so not too dissapointed. Ethan was in a HUGE Limit dog class which seemed to take forever (my poor aching legs), he made the shortlist of 8 but didn't get placed but again I was pleased with how he went. Finally I had Sea in Open and he placed 5th which I was pleased with. The style of handling/showing on the continent is very different to here so in the last few weeks he has had to learn how to 'free stand' and that he's not allowed to fly his tail on the move (or jump up and grab his lead! lol). As with everything Sea does he is very willing and a quick learner so I was really pleased with how he went.

As is always the case at these shows, it was nice to see everyone but we hardly seemed to have any time to catch up and the day went very quickly although as usual those that were first to arrive (myself, Heather, Anne, Fiona, Julia and Judith) were also the last to leave, how does that always happen? It's like some sort of endurance test! lol I was exhausted when I got home (and I only had a 20 min drive) and couldn't help feeling guilty about those having to make the long journies back up to Scotland and the North East and down to Bristol and beyond!

Flyball and agility next weekend so hopefully a little easier...thank god no more bathing!!

2 comments:

Vicki said...

How you managed with that lot I'll never know. Well done with all of them.

Sorry we ran off without saying goodbye. We watched you handle Sea in Open Dog but then you were straight back in again with Spark so we decided to make a move. Which shows are you doing next?

Nat said...

Thanks Vicki, not really looking forward to doing it all again up in Scotland in 2 weeks...must be mad!

Next shows are Working and Pastoral Breeds of Scotland and Scottish Border Collie Club Champ shows 1st/2nd November then I have Spark at BCCGB 'pup of the year' the following weekend!